Almost everyone in the industrial laundry business says that – until they get burned. With electronic equipment often housed in older buildings, it doesn’t take much for a fire to break out, even for those who are prepared. This is a true story. Two hundred employees were doing their jobs in an 800,000 square-ft. building made of concrete and steel. Nobody expected this day to be different from any other, but no one expected a fire.
“The hospital’s dryers could hardly dry the clothes anymore, and the lint buildup was so bad that the fire inspector had cited the place.”
So begins the story by Action Duct Cleaning’s technician Robert Godinez of a Los Angeles medical center that was experiencing the “laundry list” of symptoms that occur when a laundry exhaust system is not maintained.
Quick Rinse - News From Around The World
Commercial Laundry Cited by OSHA
ELM GROVE, W. Va. — Uwanta Linen Supply, a commercial laundry, was recently cited for 21 health and safety violations by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). The laundry faces $62,400 in penalties for the violations. Eighteen of the the 21 violations are considered serious by OSHA. The serious violations include failing to properly guard floor holes and failing to provide hepatitis B vaccines to workers who are potentially exposed to blood borne pathogens.