Almost everyone in the industrial laundry business says that – until they get burned. With electronic equipment often housed in older buildings, it doesn’t take much for a fire to break out, even for those who are prepared. This is a true story. Two hundred employees were doing their jobs in an 800,000 square-ft. building made of concrete and steel. Nobody expected this day to be different from any other, but no one expected a fire.
“The hospital’s dryers could hardly dry the clothes anymore, and the lint buildup was so bad that the fire inspector had cited the place.”
So begins the story by Action Duct Cleaning’s technician Robert Godinez of a Los Angeles medical center that was experiencing the “laundry list” of symptoms that occur when a laundry exhaust system is not maintained.
Quick Rinse - News From Around The World
Employee Crushes Hand on Ironer
SOMMERVILLE, Mass. — A commercial laundry has been fined by OSHA after an employee’s had was crushed while lubricating the chain of an ironer that was running. The OSHA inspection found that the machine was not de-energized prior to the maintenance that was attempted. Royal Institutional Services Inc., has been cited by OSHA for four alleged violations of workplace safety standards. The laundry, owned by Angelica Corp., faces a total of $49,935 in proposed fines.